Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.
Legal Support

Expert Advice

For some survivors of abuse, having a safe place to stay and receiving counseling may not be enough to allow them to live independently and self-sufficiently after leaving an abusive relationship.  Sometimes, clients need the expert help and advice that only a legal professional can provide.


Legal Services

Hope's Door New Beginning Center has a full-time attorney and a legal assistant to assist clients with family law related matters. Our case managers help clients with completing applications for Crime Victims Compensation or Address Confidentiality Program.


Protective Order

For individuals needing a protective order, our staff work closely in partnership with the local District Attorney’s offices of Dallas County and Collin County to assist individuals in applying for protective orders. In some cases, our attorneys can also file an application directly on someone’s behalf.


Guidance, Assistance, Representation

Our legal team may provide clients with general guidance through the legal system or may assist them with specific legal matters such as divorce, child custody, child support, CPS issues and modifications.  We can assist clients who wish to represent themselves in court or, depending on the circumstances of their individual case, some clients may qualify for full representation.


 Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I can’t afford an attorney, but I have not experienced family violence. What can I do?

A: Depending on your income, you may qualify for services from Legal Aid of Northwest Texas. You can apply here: https://internet.lanwt.org/gethelp.


Q: I don’t live in Collin or Dallas County. Can I still get help?

A: All individuals who complete an intake in any of our service programs are eligible for free legal advice and advocacy. We do not represent cases outside of Collin or Dallas County at this time. BIPP clients are not eligible for legal services.


Q: I don’t want therapy or other services. Can I still get help?

A: Yes, legal services are a standalone service at HDNBC. However, you must still have experienced family violence, have an urgent legal need, and qualify financially.


Q: Why do you have a financial requirement?

A: Because the need for legal services is so high, our grant funders require us to place a limit on how much money someone can make to get free services.


Q:  What is a Protective Order?

A: If you have been a victim of family violence, stalking or sexual abuse, you can apply for a court order to keep your abuser away from you. This order is called a Protective Order (“PO”).

A PO orders an abuser:

  • not to hurt, threaten, or harass you or your children, either directly or through another person;
  • to stay away from you, your family, your home, workplace, and children’s day care or school;
  • not to carry a gun, even with a license.

The judge can also:

  • order payment of child support and medical support,
  • set terms and conditions for visitation with the children,
  • order the abuser to attend anger management classes,
  • order drug testing,
  • order the abuser to attend a substance abuse treatment program,
  • order the offender out of the home (“kick out order”).


Q: What must I show to get a PO?

A: For a family violence protective order, you must be able to show that violence has occurred and it is likely that violence will continue in the future. Family violence includes any intimate partner violence, including dating violence and violence between same-sex partners.

Document incidents of abuse. Photograph injuries, save threatening voice messages, texts, and emails. The more details you provide, the more likely you are to get a PO. 


More Information

If you are currently a client, let your case manager or counselor know you are interested in receiving legal services.

If you are not a client, you can contact our Outreach Center at (972) 422-2911 and ask to schedule an intake.

 **BIPP clients are not eligible for legal services.**


Useful Links

Legal Aid of Northwest Texas:  https://internet.lanwt.org/home

Texas Law Help:  https://texaslawhelp.org/

Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program:  https://dallasvolunteerattorneyprogram.org/

Dallas Bar Community Resources:  https://www.dallasbar.org/index.cfm?pg=COVIDCommunityResources

Texas Advocacy Project:  https://www.texasadvocacyproject.org/

Legal Aid for Sexual Assault Survivors:  https://www.tlsc.org/lassa

en English es Español






Connect With Us